Contact Me

My photo
United States
For product reviews, please e-mail me at veganisreasonable@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Vegan MoFo: Vegan Food Questionnaire


1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
Gnocchi with cabbage

Almond Milk but I like them all. I also love coconut water and use it for similar purposes.

2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?


Tomato sauce
Upcoming, I am looking forward to:
Herb-y Polenta Squares
Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Peppermint Bark!








3.Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
Sausage with cabbage
Baked goods with vinegar! I can never make them taste like anything besides vinegar and will never use it in a recipe again. 

4. How do you organize your recipes?


A couple of cookbook near the kitchen- other than that, I have a couple of huge Gmail drafts with links to recipes that are not organized at all. I am also notorious for winging it and not using recipes. Sometimes, failures, sometimes, yummy stuff that I can't replicate!

5. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?

Teriyaki portobella burgers


Chickpeas
Kale
Carrots

6. Favorite vegan ice cream?

Rice Dream Mint Chocolate Chip (Wish I could eat it now but can't because it's sweetened with agave and I'm pregnant). 

7. Most loved kitchen appliance?

Blender or food processor
Marinating mushrooms

8. Spice/herb you would die without?

Old Bay! 

9. Favorite vegan cookbook and cookbook author?


Peas and Thank You by Sarah Matheny

10. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?

Split Pea Soup (this is also what my omni Mom often cooks when we visit)

11. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?

I love seitan though I've never made it homemade and have little access to it! Dang is it yummy! Tofu and I are ok, and I dislike tempeh.

12. Favorite meal to cook?

Anything with my husband. I love to cook together. 

13. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?

Microwave, alcohol and alcohol accessories, cereal dispensers (like dog food dispensers). 

14. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.

Tons of peppers, Frozen bananas cut in half for my morning smoothies, and Lush shower jellies!

15. What’s on your grocery list?


For this week: (Pretty long, we have some staples to replenish!)
Extra Firm Tofu
Silken Tofu
Cilantro
Water Chestnuts
Artichoke Hearts
Artichokes
Avocados
Tomatoes
Baked potato wedges
Onions
Broccoli
Vegan Cream Cheese
Pita
Soy Sauce
Garlic
Potato Chips
Coconut Milk
Flat Out Wrap Bread
Vegan Sausage
Lime 
Lemon Juice
Brown Rice
Almonds
Earth Balance
Arborio Rice
Bananas
Nut Butter
Vegetable Broth
-and I need to order my prenatal vitamins from the organic market.


Hope I Can Get at a Farmer's Market:
Lettuce
Salad Mix or Arugula 
Apples!!! Please! 
Dahl and brown rice
Bell Pepper
Potatoes
Other Produce- we like surprises!

16. Favorite grocery store?

I really like MOMs- My Organic Market which is a chain in Maryland.

17. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.

Spinach Balls- I've done them without eggs but never without parmesan cheese. 

18. Favorite Food Blogs?


So many! Tops are:


vegansaurus!
Oh She Glows
Peas and Thank You

19. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?

20. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?


21. Ingredients you are scared to work with?

Vital Wheat Gluten.

22. Favorite vegan café/restaurant?


I haven't been to enough to say :o/

23. What is your favorite Vegan Organization?


Hmm...I don't have much experience with any, but I support and volunteer with our local no-kill animal rescue. My animal love has grown soo much since becoming vegan. Pregnancy may have added to it as well. http://smawl.org/

24. Do you find it hard to find ready-made vegan food?


My local grocery store has tofu, sometimes tempeh, vegan sausage, vegan ice cream, vegan bacon bits, even vegan marshmallow fluff! Not too shabby!

25. Do you find it hard to find a variety of vegan food?

I find I need to be creative with the relatively few ingredients that are available. If I find a bulk store, though, I can get a wide variety of grains and legumes and take it from there!

26. Do you find it difficult to find vegan friendly venues to eat at?

YES. I live in a rural, low-population place in a county that is a peninsula. There are few restaurants at all and no market for vegan food...or healthy anything.

27. Do you regularly eat at any other vegan\vegetarian venues?  Where?


I have only been to one vegetarian restaurant with some vegan options- Otarian in NYC

Other than that, I often eat at my local Indian restaurant which marks the vegetarian and vegan items on the menu. Really, no other restaurants within an hour make anything I can eat.

28. Do you find it difficult to find places to buy vegan products; packaged food and drink, toiletries?


Somewhat, but I get pleasantly surprised! We live in a rural area- lots of farmers but none organic. There is a small organic store a half hour away with many vegan items and even a local Food Lion has a pretty decent vegan section! When we need a big haul, though, we drive 2 hours to the Whole Foods. We order a lot from Amazon.com. 

29. Are you gluten intolerant?

Nope

30. What your 5 favorite vegan dishes\desserts?

Chana Pindi
Vegetable Samosas
Veggie Risotto
Zucchini Bread
Falafel

No comments:

Post a Comment