Contact Me

My photo
United States
For product reviews, please e-mail me at veganisreasonable@gmail.com

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Cooking Through Peas and Thank You, Part One

I was in a rut. My meal plans were getting uninspired and repetitive, and I want to eat a big variety for the future taste preferences of baby Squiggles. 


I have been following Peas and Thank You blog for sometime and knew that the author had come out with a cookbook. I found it on Amazon.com for very cheap


So far, I have cooked 11 of the 85 recipes in Peas and Thank You: Simple Meatless Meals the Whole Family Will Love and I do more each day! I love this book. The recipes are easy and totally different from one another. "Mama Pea" eats no animal products and her recipes reflect this, though you sometimes have the option of using vegan cheese like Daiya or organic cheese. I truly think an omni would not miss meat, dairy, or eggs in these yummy meals! 


Over the next couple of weeks, I will post my responses to the meals I have made:

  • Photographs
  • What I did differently than the recipe
  • My thoughts 
Starting with...

Tofu Ricotta Gnocchi

Chilled, rolled, cut, and ready to go!
Cooked and tossed in sauce


Noms on a plate. Flour everywhere!
What We Changed: 
  • We did not have vegan cream cheese so we used dairy cream cheese (this was eaten mostly by hubby not myself)
  • We used frozen homemade pesto sauce instead of tomato sauce, though we have made this since these photos were taken and have used tomato sauce. 
  • We used a ton more basil in the ricotta mixture because we have an abundance in the garden!

Thoughts:
  • I only tried one because it was not vegan but they were delicious! Do not expect them to taste like potato gnocchi, however. The second time we made these, we let them sit in the water a little bit longer and preferred that.
  • You need to plan ahead for this recipe because it takes time to press the tofu and the dough takes time to chill. 



No comments:

Post a Comment