Contact Me

My photo
United States
For product reviews, please e-mail me at veganisreasonable@gmail.com

Monday, October 3, 2011

Vegan MoFo: Pita Chips Recipe

My favorite hummus-dippers are carrots and spinach. When I want something a bit more filling, I love store-bought pita chips and falafel chips but the costs add up. I find it cheaper to buy pre-made pita and turn them into chips in my kitchen. 


1. Cut your pita (whole wheat!) into manageable triangles.
2. Coat pita chips with your seasoning mixture. Be gentle, turn with a fork, so they do not break.
  • I recommend 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil at a time- you may have to replenish based on how much pita you are chip-ifying. 
  • For seasonings, use what you like! I would start with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of a variety of spices including 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper 
  • (I just eyeball it).
  • Our favorites are: cayenne pepper, coriander, cumin, and garlic powder. 
  • Incorporate into olive oil. 

3. Spread out in a single layer on a baking pan. No need to spray.

4. Bake at 400 degrees for five minutes, turn each chip, and bake for another five minutes.  Adjust times by a minute if you want them chewier or crispier/crunchier.

You could try broiling. It's dangerous for me because I always seem to let it go too long and burn. Use the toaster oven to save money and energy!
5. Let cool for a minute on the pan and transfer to a container. Enjoy on their own or dipped in hummus or another sauce/dip.

I like to have these on hand for snacks for guests- always a big hit! 

1 comment:

  1. I've never made my own pitta chips, I really should they look great.

    ReplyDelete