Contact Me

My photo
United States
For product reviews, please e-mail me at veganisreasonable@gmail.com

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Vegan MoFo: Skinny Bitch Bun in the Oven


This is one of the first books I read when I found out I am pregnant. I had some lingering concerns that my vegan diet and my baby's health and I was hoping on some information to ensure I am eating the right things for him (turns out, it is almost exactly the same as eating healthily for myself except for the extra protein needed).

I had not read any of the other Skinny Bitch books, of which there are a few. Authors Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin discuss the benefits of vegan eating and the downsides of animal products on one's health. Probably any of these books would have information to benefit a pregnancy, but I did love this book in particular.

Freedman and Barnouin give it to you straight. They address each animal product, state its negative affects on a mama and baby, and summarize the studies that prove such (think the China Study). Then, they tell you not to eat it. I love this message versus the "everything in moderation" cliche that I have fallen back on in the past. If cheese has potential risks on your fetus, eliminate it altogether! Otherwise, is health really a priority?

Also included are meal plan ideas, information on sugars and whole grains, basic pregnancy tips, relevant government agencies, and nasty chemicals and additives to avoid such as BPA.

I recommend this book to any  pregnant vegan (or health concerned!) person! I can't wait to try out some of their other publications such as their recipe book!

No comments:

Post a Comment