Contact Me

My photo
United States
For product reviews, please e-mail me at veganisreasonable@gmail.com

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Vegan MoFo: Vegan Pregnancy Supplements

I started taking prenatal vitamins months before I became pregnant, and not to prepare for pregnancy, but to supplement for anything that I might lack eating plant-based day to day. I wrote about it here. I have made some changes due to pregnancy safety.


Below are the three supplements I take on a daily basis to support my pregnancy: 


1. Prenatal Vitamin- make sure it includes good amounts of vitamins that are typically lacking in vegan diets such as calcium, vitamin D, vitamin B12, and iodine. Watch that it does NOT include stool softener!
2. Omega-3 Capsules- make sure it includes both DHA and EPA. ALA may not convert to the other types with the efficiency that you need. 
3. Probiotic Capsule (not necessary, but beneficial) 


You can fulfill those requirements with a variety of brands but these are my favorite:




SuperNutrition PreNatal Blend

  • Vegan, whole foods, raw supplement with all botanical ingredients such as papaya and spirulina.
  • 100% or more of daily recommended value of all vitamins and minerals (except potassium- need to supplement in your diet. I eat a lot of bananas, potatoes, cantaloupe, and other potassium-rich foods).
  • Daily serving size is six pills so I take three in the morning and three at night. 
  • These do not smell bad at all! They have a vanilla-flavored coating. 
  • There is a one-a-day variety but it does not have 100% of daily requirements.
Pure One Omega 3 Capsules
  • Made from algae-that's where the fish get their essential fatty acids!
  • Each pill is 300 mg. I take two a day, so 600 mg. I have read some conflicting ideas about limiting levels of DHA/EPA so do your research when decided on dosage. 
  • Definitely has a "from the sea" aftertaste. 
Udo's Choice Adult Probiotic
  • Refrigerated
  • Safe for pregnancy, research before deciding on dosage. 
  • These were especially helpful when I had to take antibiotics of a UTI at the beginning of my pregnancy.
  • A lot of exciting studies coming out lately show the potential for probiotics to prevent preeclampsia in pregnancy and healthy brains and immune systems in anyone! Try this instead of yogurt.

What I take each day to keep myself and my preborn baby healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment