To start with, I ate some guacamole that we had made that morning while we cooked. This was avocados, garlic, chili powder, salt, pepper, lime juice. Hubby added tomatoes to his.
|Frying potatoes in olive oil.|
|Boiling two ears of corn.|
|Preparing the filling- garlic and peppers.|
|Frying the corn, garlic, peppers, salt, pepper, and lime juice.|
|I warmed the tortillas in a crepe pan.|
|While the filling was frying and the tortillas were warming, hubby chopped up the toppings- avocados, cilantro, scallions, and tomatoes.|
Changes We Made to the Recipe
- We were out of onions, so we added some onion powder instead.
- We had jalepeno peppers so used that instead of poblano chiles.
- Also did not have celery, now to think of it I should have added celery salt/seed.
- I could not find corn tortillas so we used whole wheat tortillas. Also, I'm sad because every brand that I found has way too many ingredients :o( I should try making my own!
- We used russet potatoes and left the skins on instead of peeling as called for.
- The site suggests that if you do not like cilantro, to sprinkle the potatoes with cumin instead. I think cumin or coriander would be great on the potatoes no matter what because they did not offer much flavor.
- Made 6 tacos.
- Hearty and filling and satisfied this wary-of-Mexican-food girl! Pregnant at that.
Here is the finished product!