Contact Me

My photo
United States
For product reviews, please e-mail me at veganisreasonable@gmail.com

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Morning Smoothie- Recipe

I don't really have a name for this smoothie. Raw green power smoothie? I cannot overstate how much lasting ENERGY this smoothie gives me. I don't usually get to eat for my 9 hrs of unpaid labor (aka student teaching) except sometimes an apple, but I keep going. Even when I get little or no sleep, this smoothie perks me up. I do not drink coffee, tea, or soda.

This is based on my cousin Sophie's recipe for a post-natal mommy smoothie. Sophie is a certified raw chef and yoga instructor who runs a company dedicated to raw cleanses, cooking classes, and holistic health. Check out her webpage, especially if you are in the LA area. She is an amazing person who did yoga and running right up to and just after she gave birth.

Ingredients
  • Half of a banana
  • 1/2 c. non-animal milk (I've used hemp, almond, soy, and coconut water)
  • 1-2 tbsp. flax oil
  • 1 tbsp. raw maca powder
  • 1 tbsp. raw cacao powder
  • 2 tbsp. protein powder (This is half a serving. I use Hemp.)
  • 1 tbsp. agave
  • 1/2 tbsp. coconut oil
  • 1 tbsp. nut butter (sunflower, almond, whatever)
  • Bunch of greens! (Kale, spinach)
  • At least three ice cubes. I use seven, thick like a milkshake.
  • Optional: ground flax, Spirulina

1. Add your non-animal milk to a blender.
Get the unsweetened. I hope to try 'homemaking' almond milk soon.
2. Add your 1/2 a banana.

3. Add 4 tablespoons of dry ingredient mix.
. mIn the back, you see Tempt Hemp Protein Powder, Cacao Powder, and white Maca Powder. I  just bought some Raw Protein Powder I plan to try soon.
4. Add nut butter, agave, coconut oil, and flax oil.
 
I will do another post about agave because it is controversial for multiple reasons. So is coconut oil. I haven't heard many complaints about almond butter, but for some reason this brand includes palm oil which I am not ok with.

5. Add ice cubes.
Our blender is a Hamilton-Beach Wave Action 12 speed. 
6. Pile greens on top. They will prevent the other ingredients from popping up on the top and sides.
Kale is incredible! The first time I used this green instead of spinach
I thought "hmm this is a little bitter" but I quickly got used to it.
You can always had more agave if needed.
7. Blend! You may even have a 'smoothie' setting. Go until ice cubes are broken up. Should take about a minute.

8. Pour in a cup and sip away. May need to scrap down sides.


Rationale


I drink this smoothie every morning along with a glass of water. I get a lot of my daily nutrients, including Omega 3s and calcium, as well as the majority of my calories, around 850 according to livestrong.com. Anecdotally, I have always heard that breakfast should be your biggest meal. No matter what happens later in  the day and what I end up eating, I am certain I got in my body all the good stuff in the smoothie. If I don't get greens like I should in the evening, at least I've already eaten a handful of kale. Normally, this is my attitude with morning exercise as well, but my needing the leave for work at 6:30 a.m. is precluding that. Oy.

Let me know your smoothie success stories! I will definitely be switching up this recipe once fruits come into season.

2 comments:

  1. The morning smoothie looks really good! :-)

    Blessings, Debra
    Raw Vegan Diet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! It's yummy and I finally have it down to a science.

    ReplyDelete