Contact Me

My photo
United States
For product reviews, please e-mail me at veganisreasonable@gmail.com

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Vegan is Variety

I am so picky when it comes to food. For most of my life, I have been been the unwilling dude from Green Eggs and Ham (who my Kindergarten students figured out is named Mr. Nox from Fox in Sox). As a person transitioning into veganism and now as a full vegan depending on one's label definition, I am so much more willing to try new things (though not something from a pig or chicken, no matter the color).

A Not Exhaustive List of What I've Eaten as a Vegan:
Rice Dream Chocolate Bar mmmm
Garbanzo Beans/Chickpeas
Brown Rice
Vegetable Fried Rice from Chinese restaurant

Samosas, chana pindi, and naan from Indian restaurant (future post)
Uh...tortilla chips from a Mexican restaurant
Packaged tortilla chips
Soy sauce
Briggs amino acids
Packaged pita bread
Frozen packaged samosas
Homemade potato and leek soup

Homemade humus (future post)
Homemade quinoa burgers (future post)
Homemade butternut squash risotto
Homemade vegetable risotto
Peas
Chex mix
Pretzels 
Vegan yogurt: soy, coconut
Lemon juice
Variety of herbs and spices
Spirulina
Pickles
Cucumber
Avocado
Cilantro
Tofu
Packaged brownie mix
Homemade cookies
Homemade vegetable broth
Homemade split pea soup
Homemade lentil soup

Kale
Variety of packaged frozen 'chicken' (future post)
Bananas
Olive, canola, and coconut oil
Almond butter
Sunflower seed butter
Almonds
Homemade pesto (future post)
Homemade pizza (future post)

Variety of vegan cheeses (future post)
Vegan milks: soy, almond, coconut, hemp (future post)
Coconut water
Vegan ice cream: soy, almond, coconut
Nutritional yeast
Packaged whole wheat buns
Spinach
Red lettuce
Carrots
Apples- gala, fiji, pink lady
Bartlet pears
Tomato paste
Garlic
Goji berries
Orange juice
Orange soda (Ok, it was one time and I totally regret it)
Homemade smoothie (future post)
Vegan chocolate chips, carob chips, grain-sweetened chocolate chips
Raw cacao powder
Maca powder
Variety of flax oils
Ground flax seed
Hemp protein powder
Agave nectar
Flour
Cane sugar
Triscuits
Canteloupe
Brocolli  
Tempeh
Cabbage
Sprouts
Homemade mashed potatoes
Ginger
Peanut butter
Variety of mushrooms

Artichoke
Earth Balance butter like substance
Popcorn

On my list of things to try:
Seitan
Textured Vegetable Protein
Sea Vegetables

That's all I can recall at the moment. Even after all of this, I still detest tomatoes, peppers, onions, and okra. Apologies because I am world's worst photographer. Anyway, these are some of the recipes I will be posting, but my hubby will eat anything so some recipes will go beyond my weirdly picky tastes. Lots more posts, to come, thanks for reading! I guess the take away message is eating vegan is not restricting and for me it has opened up new food opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment