Contact Me

My photo
United States
For product reviews, please e-mail me at veganisreasonable@gmail.com

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Diva Cup

One's vegan-ness can extend far beyond food. For the past few years, I have not used tampons or pads. I have used the Diva Cup. It is amazing.

Diva Cup is a small insertable container that fits like a tampon but does not absorb uterus sloughings (lovely image). It collects it like a ..erm.. cup. It lasts 8 hours so you can sleep with it in. Simply pour it out and clean it.

Diva Cup is made of entirely PLANT materials, no plastic or anything from an animal, not animal tested, not disposable (you buy them once a year), and it works! They are also comfortable and easy to insert. You do not feel it.

In using Diva Cup, you are protecting your health. There is no risk of toxic shock syndrome (TSS) as there is with tampons. You are helping the environment and animals. You are producing hardly any waste. You are saving money $$$.

Diva Cups cost around $30. I think you cannot order them online but you can locate a store. Most of the organic/health stores I've been to carry them. http://www.divacup.com/

You can also get DivaWash to clean it. Do not use any type of antibacterial soap as this could disturb the balance of good bacteria in your parts. You can boil it every few months as it may get a bit discolored but this is only for aesthetics. Again, they suggest you replace after a year.

Anyone else have Diva Cup success stories? Are there any similar products out there? Seriously, if anybody out there is weirded out or grossed out by the idea, I promise it's not gross and compared to the other options it is so much neater and safer. The thought of a septic tank full of tampons or a bathroom garbage can full of pads makes me gag.

P.S. Thanks, my college's feminist group for turning me on to Diva Cup!

4 comments:

  1. Julia, thank you for blogging about the Cup! I've been gearing myself up to take the plunge for what feels like YEARS now...it's so easy to put it off until 'oh, next month...'

    The greener the period, the better! Can't wait for the next entry!

    -Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love menstrual cups - it's like not even having a period! Love the eco-friendly and financial impacts as well. Glad you're blogging about this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reading and commenting!!

    mes4980- Go for it! You will not regret it! It took me a while to come around, too. I know it's hard to make a $30 commitment when you don't know for sure it will work for you, but it's worth it :o)

    Eco-Vegan Gal- Thanks! I have so many friends who are just like "it sounds icky." Really?! There are no down sides. And I do sometimes forget I'm menstruating haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for the diva cup! I blogged about mine recently too:) http://eating-feeelings.blogspot.com/2011/02/im-diva.html

    ReplyDelete